ForSEA Discovery Fellowship
To compile information from written sources (archives and literature) and databases about shipbuilding techniques and associated forestry management in Portuguese Atlantic in the 16th and 17th centuries, and known or suspected Portuguese shipwrecks;
– To make an inventory of key-construction features found in previously researched Portuguese shipwrecks;
– To select a limited number of demonstration Portuguese shipwreck sites for potential survey and dendrochronology analysis;
– To synthesise results and assess best practice.
Tasks and methodology:
– Combined documentary research, collation of archaeological information, timber characterization and dendrochronology;
– Synthesis of results and dissemination.